How to Make Amazake with Instant Pot (Duo Evo Plus, Max, Ultra)
Do you have the world famous Instant Pot*? You can make Amazake with Instant Pot as well. In this blog, I will show you how to make Amazake with cooked rice. Of course, you can make Amazake with just Koji using the same temperature setting. You can use this recipe for brown rice as well.
*Instant Pot with custom temperature setting models such as Duo Evo Plus, Max, Ultra.
Before you start:
* Make sure the rice paddle, the tip of thermometer, and measuring cup for water are clean and sanitized.
* If your koji is stored in the refrigerator, restore koji to room temperature.
* If your koji is stored in the freezer, defrost and restore koji to room temperature.
Let’s start making it!
[ Equipment ]
- Instant Pot (Duo Evo Plus, Max, or Ultra)
- Rice Measuring Cup (that comes with the Instant Pot)
- Rice Paddle (that comes with the Instant Pot)
- Measuring Cup
[ Ingredients ]
How to make Amazake with Instant Pot (Duo Evo Plus, Max, Ultra)
Let's make homemade Amazake with Instant Pot!
Servings: 5 Cups
Keywords: Amazake, Koji, Cooked Rice
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 9 hours 0 mins
- Total Time: 9 hours 15 mins
To cook the rice
- 1 Cup Rice (150g)
- 360 ml Water
To make the amazake
- The cooked rice
- 250 g Dried Rice Koji
- 360 ml Water
Cook the rice:
- Measure one cup of rice. Rinse rice and drain the water. Place rinsed rice in the pot. Add water (360ml) and close the lid.
- Select “Rice” and then “Start” on the Instant Pot (Auto rice cooking). Make sure that the “Keep warm” setting is off at this point.
Cool down the cooked rice:
- After the rice is cooked, wait until the pressure is released. **The cooked rice is too hot to make the Amazake at this point. Add water (360ml), mix well and bring down the temperature to under 150°F (65°C).
- Once the temperature becomes between 150°F (65°C) and 140°F (60°C), add Koji (250g). Then mix it again. Please remember!!! Do not exceed 158°F (70°C) during this process.
Close the lid and keep warm for 8-10 hours:
- Close the lid. Set the temperature to “138°F (58°C)” and turn on “Keep warm” for 8-10 hours. Check the temperature of the mixture every 2-3 hours and stir.
- The temperature goal is for the mixture temperature to be somewhere between 132°F - 140°F (55°C - 60°C). If the temperature is too high (or too low), increase (or decrease) the temperature one or a couple of degrees.
Conclude the fermentation and your Amazake!
- Once it is finished fermenting, transfer the Amazake to a clean container. Then store it in refrigerator or in the freezer. Enjoy within a week when stored in the refrigerator, or store in the freezer for a few months.
If you’d like a smooth texture, you can mix the Amazake in a blender. Enjoy your fresh Amazake as an alternative sweetener, or by mixing it with water/hot water and fresh grated ginger. Or use it with your favorite milk for a satisfying latte drink.