Oat Amazake! How to make it with Instant Pot
You can make Amazake with Oat as well by Instant Pot*! It’s (slightly) easier and quicker than making Rice Amazake since there is no pre-rinsing and it has a shorter grain cooking time. It has a creamier taste than Rice Amazake. Enjoy it warm or cold, spice as desired.
*Instant Pot with custom temperature setting models such as Duo Evo Plus, Max, Ultra and other current models which have the "Less" option for the "Keep Warm" setting.
Before you start:
* Make sure the rice paddle, the tip of thermometer, and measuring cup for water are clean and sanitized.
* If your koji is stored in the refrigerator, restore koji to room temperature.
* If your koji is stored in the freezer, defrost and restore koji to room temperature.
Let’s start making it!
[ Equipment ]
Instant Pot (3 or 6 Qt)
You can use 8 Qt as well, but you may need to increase the amount of ingredients.
- Oats Measuring Cup (that comes with the Instant Pot)
- Paddle (that comes with the Instant Pot)
- Measuring Cup
[ Ingredients ]
How to make Oat Amazake with Instant Pot
Let's make homemade Oat Amazake with Instant Pot!
Servings: 5 Cups
Keywords: Amazake, Koji, Oat, Rolled Oats
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 9 hours 0 mins
- Total Time: 9 hours 15 mins
To Cook Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats (90g)
- 360 ml Water
To Make the Amazake
- The Cooked Rolled Oats
- 250 g Dried Rice Koji
- 270 ml Water
Cook The Rolled Oats
- Measure one cup of rolled oats. Place the rolled oats in the pot. Add water (360ml) and close the lid.
- Select manual “Pressure Cook” at HIGH pressure for three minutes.
- Wait until pressure is naturally released after cooking.
Cool Down the Cooked Rolled Oats
- Mix cooked rolled oats, and then add water (180 ml) to cool it down. Then mix it evenly. Wait the temperature becomes between 150F (65C) and 140F (60C).
- Add Dried Rice Koji and mix it again. Please remember!!! Do not exceed 158°F (70°C) during this process.
Close the lid and keep warm for 8-10 hours:
- Close the lid.
- Instant pot WITH custom temperature setting (such as Duo Evo Plus, Max, and Ultra): Set the temperature to “138°F (58°C)” and turn on “Keep warm” for 8-10 hours. Check the temperature of the mixture every 2-3 hours and stir.
- Instant pot WITHOUT custom temperature setting: Select “Less” for “Keep Warm”. And then turn on “Keep Warm” for 8-10 hours. Check the temperature of the mixture every 2-3 hours and stir.
- The temperature goal is for the mixture temperature to be somewhere between 132°F - 145°F (55°C - 63°C). If the temperature is too high (or too low), increase (or decrease) the temperature one or a couple of degrees.
Conclude the fermentation and your Amazake!
- Once it is finished fermenting, transfer the Amazake to a clean container. Then store it in refrigerator or in the freezer. Enjoy within a week when stored in the refrigerator, or store in the freezer for a few months.
If you’d like a smooth texture, you can mix the Amazake in a blender. Enjoy your fresh Amazake as an alternative sweetener, or by mixing it with water/hot water and fresh grated ginger. Or use it with your favorite milk for a satisfying latte drink.