Organic Brown Rice Koji
This product is currently sold out.
Dried Rice Koji
We offer single-origin Organic Dried Rice Koji, sourcing rice harvested from the JAS certified organic rice farms in Kurashiki-City in Okayama Prefecture, Japan. The rice is carefully handcrafted into rice koji in small batches. The result is a nutty-flavored rice koji, perfect for Amazake, Miso and Shio koji making. Our package will help keep the contents fresh with its protective layer of odor-proof and moisture-proof materials. It also has a resealable zipper for your convenience.
- 17.6oz (500g)
- Product of Japan
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy and wheat.
- Organic Brown Rice
- Aspergillus Oryzae
How to make Amazake using a thermos
Saucepan. Thermos. Thermometer. Spoon. Storage container.
Dry Rice Koji (250g), Water (375ml)
Before you start:
* Make sure all the equipment is clean and sanitized.
* If koji is stored in a refrigerator, restore koji to room temperature.
* If koji is stored in a freezer, defrost and restore koji to room temperature.
* Preheat thermos by filling it with boiled hot water. (Empty out the water before step 3 below.)
1. In the saucepan, boil the water and cool it down to 150°F (65°C).
2. Mix in koji well with spoon and maintain the temperature around 140°F (60°C).
3. Pour mixture into the thermos and keep the temperature between 132°F~140°F (55~60°C) for 6 to 8 hours. (Check temperature after 4 hours. If it’s below 132°F (55°C), reheat it in the saucepan to 140°F (60°C) and put it back into the thermos.)
4. After completion, transfer amazake to the storage container. * Do not exceed 70°C when heating koji mixture.
* Enjoy within a week when stored in a refrigerator, or store in a freezer for 1 or 2 months.
Amazake Co. offers very good koji rice. The rice is evenly well coated with the inoculant and mixes perfectly with cooked rice or soybeans. It goes to work immediately and produces very tasty products. Recommended!
Excellent product, I am using it every day to make koji water.
This product has very little koji smell I don’t like. Easy to consume.
Made a gallon of Amazake with organic brown rice koji from Amazake Co. and it was sweet and energizing. The husks aren’t a great mouth feel in a drink, but the fiber is necessary in my diet. Will be better mixed with another pulpy or fibrous food. Trying the organic white rice koji next for better mouth feel as a drink.
I appreciate the years of experience, knowledge and care that have made Amazake Co. koji available for my gastronomic exploration.