Organic White Rice Koji
This product is currently sold out.
Dried Rice Koji
We offer single-origin Organic Dried Rice Koji, sourcing rice harvested from the JAS certified organic rice farms in Kurashiki-City in Okayama Prefecture, Japan. The rice is carefully handcrafted into rice koji in small batches. The result is a nutty-flavored rice koji, perfect for Amazake, Miso and Shio koji making. Our package will help keep the contents fresh with its protective layer of odor-proof and moisture-proof materials. It also has a resealable zipper for your convenience.
- 17.6oz (500g)
- Product of Japan
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy and wheat.
- Organic White Rice
- Aspergillus Oryzae
How to make Amazake using a thermos
Saucepan. Thermos. Thermometer. Spoon. Storage container.
Dry Rice Koji (250g), Water (375ml)
Before you start:
* Make sure all the equipment is clean and sanitized.
* If koji is stored in a refrigerator, restore koji to room temperature.
* If koji is stored in a freezer, defrost and restore koji to room temperature.
* Preheat thermos by filling it with boiled hot water. (Empty out the water before step 3 below.)
1. In the saucepan, boil the water and cool it down to 150°F (65°C).
2. Mix in koji well with spoon and maintain the temperature around 140°F (60°C).
3. Pour mixture into the thermos and keep the temperature between 132°F~140°F (55~60°C) for 6 to 8 hours. (Check temperature after 4 hours. If it’s below 132°F (55°C), reheat it in the saucepan to 140°F (60°C) and put it back into the thermos.)
4. After completion, transfer amazake to the storage container. * Do not exceed 70°C when heating koji mixture.
* Enjoy within a week when stored in a refrigerator, or store in a freezer for 1 or 2 months.
I started making shio koji about a year ago and fell in love with how versatile it is. I tried a bunch of different brands before finding Amazake. This one is the best, by far! The flavor is fantastic and it's perfect for marinating meat, making quick pickles and even adding to our hot sauce recipe. Highly recommended!
Excellent quality and value.
Organic White Rice Koji
This koji makes delicious Amazake. I’ve just begun the koji experience with new flavors and a sense of contentment, not just on the palate, but in digestive system as well. I hope to attempt some of the many other uses for koji soon. I appreciate all that has allowed me the experience.
The koji was splendid. I used it in my split pea miso batch and it is so far behaving just like it should. I can't wait to taste the miso in 3 months!